Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

DON'T TREAD ON AUSTRIA - OFFICIAL METALLICA CHAPTER FORUM » Metallica » Metallica News » Jason's art » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Jason's art
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Metallifreak Metallifreak is a male
RESPECTED MEMBER

images/avatars/avatar-198.jpg

Registration Date: 27.05.2005
Herkunft: Köflach

Jason's art Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Our beloved former Metallica member Jason is an artist now.

Here are some pics from his first exhibition:

Looking good with the glasses, kinda sophisticated Very un-metal.

Here's what he himself said:
from the website of his agent Micaela
from Blabbermouths (who else)

STATEMENT
I am possessed by an undercurrent of kinetic energy that I have channeled through pure artistic creation for as long as I can remember, beginning with childhood drawings and songs, followed by teenage rock and roll based ideas, and ultimately, internationally recognized musical recordings and live performances.

With the title of most decorated heavy metal bass guitarist of all time intact, my purpose has shifted from making crazy and colorful music, to making crazy and colorful paintings.

I remain as disciplined, self-motivated, and dedicated to my art, as I have been. It is time for me to climb the next mountain, retaining purity by way of genuine expression in creating art as my quest. -Jason Newsted, March 25, 2010

BIO
Immersed in creativity from an early age, Jason Newsted learned about beauty, life and death from his upbringing on his family's farm in Battlecreek, Michigan. These early surroundings would come to heavily influence his music career and artistic imagery.

Newsted joined Metallica in 1986, successfully toured the globe as Metallica's bass guitarist through 2001, and achieved worldwide recognition. He recorded multiple albums that won six Grammy awards, sold 100 million units, and earned his 2009 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

In 2005, Newsted turned his attention to painting, where he found solace and a new manner for expressing his creativity. His experience with painting is a joy to behold, filled with wonderment and the uninhibited freedom of a mature creative soul.

Newsted's paintings express raw visual energy. He uses rich color and an expressive manner to translate his characteristic intensity into hard-hitting paintings.

Last Night: Metallica Bassist Jason Newsted's First Art Exhibit
By Rossiter Drake, Friday, May. 7 2010 @ 11:30AM

I first met Jason Newsted 17 years ago at the University of Massachusetts, in a bustling backstage area slightly smaller than the 1,500-square-foot Micaëla Gallery on Geary Street, where the onetime Metallica bassist held the opening party last night for his first public art exhibit, which runs through July 27.

At that initial introduction, Newsted was disheveled, having spent nearly three hours on stage thrashing along to a thunderous soundtrack comprised largely of hits from Metallica's 1991 self-titled breakthrough album. He wore a dirty white t-shirt and ripped jeans, greeting every autograph-seeking fan with the disarming familiarity of an old friend.

On Thursday at the Micaëla, it was clear that few things have changed about Newsted, who left Metallica in 2001 and insists he has never regretted it. At 47, he's leaner now, and the lines on his angular face--so often contorted into a fierce scowl for the band's videos and photo shoots--are more clearly defined. There was no t-shirt, though. He wore a black sports jacket and striped button-down to match his ash-colored jeans.

Newsted began painting in 2005, after a series of shoulder injuries and subsequent surgeries left him unable to shred, and forced him to become ambidextrous. (He's naturally right-handed.) The work began as a hobby, a new creative outlet that allowed him the freedom of expression his body seemed to be perversely denying him. It wasn't until a year later that he considered showcasing the results.

"I started out figuring out what techniques would allow me to draw and paint while my arm was in a sling, so I threw things at the canvas using a spatula, with one hand," says Newsted, whose show features just six of his roughly 1,000 paintings. "It was purposeful. I wanted each piece to mean something, and I wanted to paint a picture each day, as a reflection of what I was living and breathing at that time. The mentality was the same as my approach to writing music."

​He says he never thought about having an art show until 2006. At that time, he was working on Rock Star: Supernova for CBS, and the network wanted to decorate the contestants' house with his gold and platinum records. "The art director came to my home, saw my paintings, and asked who my influences were," Newsted explains. "I told him Hanna-Barbera - The Flintstones, The Jetsons. I'd never studied with anyone. He asked if I'd like the pictures to be featured on the TV show, at the house where all the karaoke kids stayed. I said sure. And people started offering me money for my pictures. So with that, and all the positive feedback I was getting, I started taking painting seriously."

Newsted has no plans to hang up his bass. He still plays at least once a week, and enjoyed a harmonious reunion with his former bandmates for Metallica's 2009 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame--but he remains dedicated to his art, and with good reason.

At the gallery, people were paying attention to his work. The crowd at the Micaëla was an eclectic mix of high-art enthusiasts--sharply dressed and studiously poring over his Pollock- and Picasso-inspired paintings--and metal maniacs, one of whom wore a denim jacket bearing every Metallica patch ever sold and inscribed, unequivocally, "Birth, School, Metallica, Death."

The response in his guestbook was overwhelmingly positive. One fan, in an entry gallery director Micaëla Van Zwoll called "the love letter," wrote: "There's nothing I can say you haven't heard before. You are my number-one artistic influence. Can you cook, too?" Another entry came from his mother, who traveled from his native Michigan for the opening: "Always proud to call you my son."

Newsted took the adulation in stride, and he expects some degree of skepticism. In fact, he welcomes it.

"There are some people who are not going to like what I do, and they already made up their minds beforehand," he says. "They see another musician who paints, or another writer who paints. That's fine. I saw some people making fun of the paintings tonight, but it didn't bother me. I don't want everyone to like my stuff.

"It's just like the music. There are a lot of painters, and a lot of musicians. But you've got to be good. You have to be. I've convinced myself that this is a good idea, and the positive vibrations I've felt tell me I made the right decision."

The Micaela Gallery
49 Geary Street, Number 234
San Francisco, CA 94108
www.micaela.com

Here are some more for you: http://micaela.com/NEWSTED,%20Jason%20v3.pdf
16.06.2010 21:48 Metallifreak is offline Send an Email to Metallifreak Homepage of Metallifreak Search for Posts by Metallifreak Add Metallifreak to your Buddy List Add Metallifreak to your Contact List
metalandi metalandi is a male
Super Moderator - Respected Member

images/avatars/avatar-196.jpg

Registration Date: 01.06.2005
Herkunft: Steyr, Austria

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm happy for him, that he does what he likes to do nowadays, and not beeing stuck in a restricted area of creativity. I don't understand much about art, but i don't think his paintings are too bad.

16.06.2010 22:27 metalandi is offline Send an Email to metalandi Homepage of metalandi Search for Posts by metalandi Add metalandi to your Buddy List
metalandi metalandi is a male
Super Moderator - Respected Member

images/avatars/avatar-196.jpg

Registration Date: 01.06.2005
Herkunft: Steyr, Austria

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Here's a recent interview with jason (not about art, but about bass playing). Is it me or does he not really look very healthy here? geschockt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgOd7plyLQg&NR=1

30.06.2010 23:34 metalandi is offline Send an Email to metalandi Homepage of metalandi Search for Posts by metalandi Add metalandi to your Buddy List
Livestrong Livestrong is a male
Super Donator - Respected Member

images/avatars/avatar-199.jpg

Registration Date: 24.01.2007
Herkunft: Civitas Nova

Thanks for the link Andi, I guess you'r right, he looks pale and apparently he had lost some weight, too geschockt

04.07.2010 10:10 Livestrong is offline Send an Email to Livestrong Homepage of Livestrong Search for Posts by Livestrong Add Livestrong to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Livestrong
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
DON'T TREAD ON AUSTRIA - OFFICIAL METALLICA CHAPTER FORUM » Metallica » Metallica News » Jason's art

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH